Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Nelayan Indonesian

265 Swanston St
Melbourne, 3000



I met Phil for lunch on a Monday at Nelayan, it almost looked closed from outside, with the tinted windows and doors shut, it took me a second to realise there were happily eating inside. It was pretty busy and we headed straight to the counter and bain-marie at the back. For $9 you get to try 3 dishes with rice, there  are other options on the menu behind the counter. We selected some dishes, paid and then easily found ourselves a table.


I went for the spicy egg-plant, a tofu and vegetable dish and the spicy potatoes, these weren’t labelled, so I can’t give you their Indonesian names. The big tofu block surprisingly to me contained some pork, an odd combination for me, but not unpleasant. The eggplant was soft and spicy and the potatoes had a surprising kick.


Phil went for some chicken which was unfortunately a bit dry, a beef rendang and some green beans.


The service was friendly and efficient. The location near the corner of Swanston and Lonsdale was good for us and the price very competitive. Overall it is probably not quite on a par with Blok M, but I certainly wouldn’t rule out going back again.

Nelayan Indonesian on Urbanspoon


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment