Saturday, May 11, 2013

Taiwan Cateen

311 Exhibition Street
Melbourne,
VIC
3000

I chose Taiwan Canteen for lunch with Brendan because it was conveniently located, had good reviews and as a first opportunity I'd had to try Taiwanese food. Even knowing the address, it wasn't that easy to spot, I may well have gone past many times without even realising it was a restaurant!


It was fairly busy when we arrived not long before 1pm on a Friday and it gradually emptied out we were there. The décor was fairly minimal but the wooden tables and stools were fine. We grabbed menu's and perused, and there seemed to be a Japanese influence including the presence of Bento boxes.



Our orders were taken and then we waited and waited, I didn't time it, but the wait was long for a lunch time canteen style venue.Eventually my three cups chicken bento arrived but it was another 5 to 10 minutes before Brendan's Popcorn chicken arrived - he did though get a free upgrade to a bento. My dish is named because the sauce is made of a cup of rice wine, a cup of sesame oil, and a cup of soy sauce and was enjoyable and overall pretty good value for $12.


After the delay I forgot to snap the popcorn chicken but it went down well!

I'd probably give Taiwan Canteen another go, as the food was different and enjoyable, but further slow service would be a bridge too far!


Taiwan Canteen on Urbanspoon



View Foodscrazy restaurant map in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment