Monday, April 7, 2014

Dolan Uyghur Food Heaven

166 Little Lonsdale Street
Melbourne
VIC 3000

Dolan Uyghur Food Heaven seems a like a fairly ambitious promise as restaurant names go, so after spotting this basic looking eatery on Little Lonsdale, and doing a little research, Brendan and I were keen to give it a go.


Inside the decor was again pretty basic, with a few original touches, including these silver rings hanging from the ceiling.


The menu had some lunch specials mainly featuring rice, and a series of hand made noodle based dishes, as well as several more pages offering some familiar and some new sounding options.


Brendan went for the Qanalgan Korma Lagmeni, finely cut and stir fried handmade noodles with vegetables and chicken, rather than the standard lamb. (There was a choice of meat for any of the top five items on the menu.)  As well as the noodles being diced, so were the veggies and chook, which gave the dish a novel look, a little different to expectations. A god effort was made to clear most of the plate though.


Ignoring both the 3 chillies next to the dish on the menu and the warning/question from the waitress, I chose dish 2, the hand made noodles with chilli and chicken. There was also a 'dry' version of this dish, and my non-dry came with plenty of sauce and a spoon, which proved handy. There was certainly a kick to the dish and I was soon fishing out some of the chillies to give my taste buds a chance. The noodles fantastic, silky, but thick and satisfying, and were well complimented by the celery, onion and chicken, not to mention the spices.


In the end I left a small pile of the spicy red devils, and I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed the dish had I tried to take them on... Brendan's dish was not hot which was fortunate, as he isn't a chilli fan, so the menu guidance seems accurate.


The serves were generous, and certainly good value for $12. Although the atmosphere lacks punch the food certainly delivers it, and I reckon I'll be back to checkout more of the interesting items on the menu.

*Updated - 16/4/14* On a return visit I had the less spicy Korma Lagmeni of fried handmade noodles with chicken and vegetables, which was great and slightly easier to eat without the oodles of chilli laden sauce.



Dolan Uyghur Food Heaven on Urbanspoon


View Foodscrazy restaurant map in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment